Thursday, April 21, 2011

Totally awesome day

Hi guys! Right now we are taking a rest at the apartment. We spent the day on the tour bus thingy. That was really cool, we saw really quick a lot of the big tourist attractions here and we did some shopping. We got presents for almost all of you guys, and of course the Flamanco (how do you spell it?) dress for Julia. It is so cute! Grandma and Grandpa also bought Marie and I these beautiful embroidered tablecloths for our "hope chests". Mine is green!
I was so tired last night because I could'nt sleep very much on the plane that I went to bed at 8:00. I thought I would just take a little nap before brushing my teeth and stuff, but I woke up 12 hours later! Everyone else is really tired right now from all the walking that we have done. I think we have walked probably 5 miles at least since we have gotten here. Probably more. But I'm just fine, not sore or anything. I think it's easier to walk on concrete than dirt.
Hey, guess what we had for breakfast? Grandpa went to the pasty shop, about 50 feet away from us, and brought back lemon muffins, bread, chocolate croissants, and fruit, and the richest chocolate milk I have ever had. It was so good! We had the leftovers for snack.
It was so funny! We ate at this restaurant thingy for lunch, and they were showing on the t.v. the big plays from the soccer game between Madrid and Barcelona which was last night. Madrid won, but they kept showing over and over one of the Madrid players that dropped, and broke, the cup thing that they won. It was so sad! And all the people in the restaurant were like yelling at each other (because they supported the different teams).
Oh yeah, I forgot. There are these people that sell a lot of home made stuff a the big tourist attractions. They just spread their blanket out on the ground and lay their wares on it. Apparently it is illegal, because a lot of them have ropes or chains attached to each corner and the sides of their blanket, and all gathered into the middle, so that as soon as they et wind of the police coming, they just pull on the ropes and fling the bundle over their backs, and start running. I bought some pretty bracelets from one of them. (before I knew it was illegal. Actually, it's only illegal to sell, not buy.) And about 10 seconds later, one of the merchants blew a whistle, signaling that the police were coming, and in about 10 seconds there was no blankets in sight! The police knew where they were running to though, so they had some police waiting. It was kind of funny in a sad way. Marie was actually in the process of buying a bracelet when the guy yells, "Leave!" and just up and folds his blanket and runs away. Poor marie! She was like, "Darn, I really liked that bracelet". It's really different how they sell things here. They don't have fixed prices on a lot of stuff, you can just barter. And then, they don't scan it in or anything, you just hand them the money and leave. Most of the time you don't even get a receipt.
Everything is so neat here. i think I have almost filled up my camera with pictures already. There are statues everywhere, and carvings all over the buildings. Most all the buildings we have seen so far are stone.
There aren't a lot of private cars in Barcelona, most everyone rides motorcycles, buses, and taxis. Lots of motorcycles. Walking back home today, we saw one that someone had set on fire. I'll add pictures in a while, after someone shows me how to do it.
Eve, 7:05 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. Marie! Doing illegal things already...tut, tut, tut. ;) BE CAREFUL!

    ReplyDelete