Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Day of the Book and the Rose

So on April 23 every year, there is a holiday in Spain called the Day of the Book and the Rose, celebrating Sant Jordi, the patron saint of Barcelona. It is sort of like our Valentine's Day. The guys give their girls a rose, and I think the girls give the guys a book. Or something like that. So we went walking today to see it all, and it was so neat! There are stands of roses everywhere, and tons of book stands. Grandpa pinky-promised a boy scout that he would buy one of his roses that he was selling, but we haven't gone back yet.
    This morning, we went to the neatest museum I have ever been in. I can't remember what it's called, I think just the Museum of Barcelona or something. Most of the stuff inside it is old Roman stuff, artifacts and ruins. There is also stuff from the middle ages, which was neat. We all took so many pictures, but I will let Marie post them. The ruins were under the ground, because over the years people have built over them. There was tons of amazing things, but my favorite was just the buildings. A lot was still standing, after 2,000 years. Actually, the building that the museum is in was built about 250 A.D., with all the original walls and ceiling. My favorite was the ruins of a super old church, which was built in the shape of a cross.  Another neat thing was that you could still see a lot of the drainage and irrigation systems. The exit of the museum was that door in that picture that I posted earlier, where the King and Queen met Columbus, still with the same door and stairs.
     We have already walked at least 5-6 miles this morning, and I wore flip flops the whole time. I didn't know we were going to walk that much. My feet are fine though. We might rent some bikes this afternoon.

Eve

1 comment:

  1. Girls, you have to try and track down a pastry show that sells xuxos...(pronounced chuchos) basically they are fresh eclair like flaky pastries filled with this amazing cream!!! SOOOO GOOD with a cup of hot chocolate!! :D I ate one pretty much every morning when I was in Spain with Avi. :)

    ReplyDelete